When I was pondering what to make for the recipient of this quilt (a lawyer, who has been working on her doctorate so that she can teach law), I decided that: Courthouse Steps + Schoolhouse = Law School. And that gave me the basis for this quilt design. And the purpose for making the schoolhouse blocks. This is not a really easy block, especially with those funky angles. One of these days I'm going to find my protractor and determine exactly what angle this is. I'm assuming 75 degrees. Fortunately, I have the Tri-Recs tools and the Lazy Angle ruler, which all use this angle, so I didn't have much trouble getting the angle correct. And I only used 4 schoolhouse blocks in this quilt.
The courthouse steps block was a little easier as it was all right angles.
I wanted a very bright and cheerful quilt, so chose a batik fat quarter bundle I purchased at last year's Creative Stitches show. I chose muslin for the background and sashing, but after assembling the quilt, found all that neutral rather boring. So I quilted with a very bright multi-coloured thread, which, unfortunately, doesn't show up very well in the picture. And I neglected to take a close-up.
This is a cropped photo from the main quilt picture, which shows the quilting, but doesn't really show the bright colours of the thread.
The two borders were made of fabric I picked up on sale at my LQS.
I think that purple border looks almost electric. Here's the backing I chose, again wanting to go with something bright and cheerful (butterflies):
Finally, I picked a bright green batik for the binding.