Monday 28 October 2013

Current Works in Progress

Today was a scheduled day off for me and I realized that I've done very little quilting since finishing Damian's quilt. I have dabbled a little with the blue and cream pinwheel quilt that I'm working on for my nephew. Then I sort of lost interest in that one as well. Of course, I didn't take quilting with me when I went on vacation. I did take a crocheting project however. I bought "The Lord is My Light Throw" kit early this year for a friend's birthday, but hadn't started working on it yet. So I took the pattern and a couple of skeins of yarn along and actually made reasonable progress. And some mistakes. It's the first time I've crocheted from a graph and it is challenging. 
 I've still got a long way to go. This friend is doing a cross-stitch picture for me and isn't making any greater progress than I am with her throw. I wonder which one of us will finish first...
Regarding my quilting, I think I was getting bored with my projects, so I started a couple more. Back in August, I won a charm pack and quilting pattern from Jackie Berdych of Sew Excited Quilts. I set them aside for future consideration. Since a lot of the charms are baby-related, and no one in the family is pregnant, I wasn't in a hurry to pursue this project. Meanwhile I bought an issue of Fons & Porter's Scrap Quilts and was "charmed" by a pattern for a charm pack-based quilt. It actually called for 3 charm packs. Charm packs are not readily available locally, so I bought 2 fat quarter bundles of baby/child fabric and cut my own charms to make up the requisite number. Yesterday and today I have been working on this project. All of the charms are cut out and 49 of them were cut in half to use in the sashing. I've also cut strips of red fabric for the "intersections." I set the charms up in the order I wanted them and sewed one row of charms and one row of sashing.
Aha, a couple of my 2012 BOM blocks photo-bombed this shot. LOL!
Not very easy to get much of an idea what the quilt is going to look like from this little bit. You'll just have to come back and see when I get it finished.
One of my nephews and his wife are in the adoption process for a second child, so it looks like that child will probably be the recipient of this quilt. 
Here's my other project for today:
I bought the kit for this at Len's Mill while in Ontario. Another nephew and his significant other have a foster baby that they hope to adopt. This nephew is a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, so I felt the kit was perfect for his baby boy. 
I have no idea why I decided to start 2 projects in one weekend. I really need to get some of my many ongoing projects finished. I have 2 design walls and both have multiple blocks from different projects. And then there are my crocheting projects...
Ah, some day...


No comments:

Post a Comment