Saturday 13 July 2013

Rest

Here are a couple of the blocks I've completed this year:


On the left is Lena's Choice and on the right is the Wonky 5-sided Log Cabin. In neither of these blocks did I use any background fabric and I rather wish I had. In my opinion, they are both too busy. There is not really any place for the eye to rest. 
These blocks are kind of like how our lives can be, especially here in North America: too busy, with not enough opportunity for rest. And I'm talking about more than just physical rest. As they taught us in nursing school, humans are bio-psycho-socio-spiritual beings, so we need rest in every aspect of our being. 
Nursing can be challenging in every sphere. And while Home Care is definitely not as physically demanding as hospital nursing, it still can be very draining mentally, emotionally and spiritually. At the end of my work day, I am all "peopled out," as I like to say, and it is generally not with reluctance that I arrive home to my two cats and no people to make demands on me. I don't make or accept too many social invitations because it is important for me to have my "down time." 
Jesus Himself told His disciples, "Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while." Mark 6:31. I just want to point out that the word "desert" does not necessarily mean a place like the Mojave or the Sahara. It also has the connotation of "solitary." Bascially, get away from the crowd, the hustle and bustle and spend time with Jesus. This is what we need to do to rejuvenate and restore us spiritually, mentally, and emotionally, as well as physically. 
 In Home Care, we have a service called respite. We can either provide it in the home for a few hours a week or in a seniors living facility for up to 3 weeks at a time. This allows the main caregiver for the client, usually a spouse or child, to run errands, buy groceries or just take a well-earned break. It helps to avoid caregiver burnout. Yet some family members are reluctant to accept this service, feeling that they are somehow failing their loved one if they are not on call 24-7. We in Home Care can not force our help on anyone. Sometimes, we have to just let them "crash and burn," as we say. But we'd rather avoid that if possible.
We should never allow ourselves to think that the work we are doing is so important that we can't take time for rest. Jesus' disciples had just returned from their first missionary journey, during which they had been preaching the gospel, and doing all manner of good works: healing and so forth. People were still crowding around them and Jesus, still in need of healing and the gospel. What could be more important than that? Yet Jesus told them that they needed to take time out for rest.
And so do we. As a matter of fact, God recognizes our need for rest as so important that he actually included it in the 10 Commandments. He said, "Remember the Sabbath day," that we are to work 6 days and rest on the seventh (See Exodus 20:8-11). We can not possibly hope to be everything God wants us to be or accomplish all He wants us to accomplish if we don't make time for rest - physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. 
And that includes letting go of burdens. For many of us, especially those of us in the care-giving professions, it is our nature to nurture, to accept responsibility, to bear burdens. We need to recognize that there are times when we need to say no and only accept the responsibilities that God has placed on our shoulders. And even the burdens that we must bear, we don't need to bear them alone. Jesus says, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30. Rest for our souls - I believe that's what we all need. But we can only find it in Jesus.
 
  
 
~
Here I am, enjoying some rest at our local park.


The playground and main picnic area are far enough away from the trout pond that I can enjoy some solitary peace.


So, yeah, I didn't make it to campmeeting, but I'm going to enjoy my "stay-cation" anyway and maybe get some quilting done, in addition to some other exciting things...

No comments:

Post a Comment