Saturday 18 January 2014

Stand Still!

I'm a bit of a Type A personality, the kind of person who likes to get things done, solve problems, fix things (having said all that, I also readily admit that I can also be very lazy at times, but that's a topic for another time...). When a problem presents itself, I think, ponder, mull, research, until I can figure out how to resolve it. Often I come up with several ideas, some better than others. But sometimes, I'm frustrated because I can't seem to come up with a workable solution. And so I will continue to explore different ideas, trying some, tossing others. But I also want issues to be resolved ASAP.
Right now, there's an issue that needs to be resolved for my daughter and I. And the sooner the better. As I was thinking and praying about it, I was scrolling through some favourite Bible texts that I have stored on my Android tablet, and one that the Lord really impressed me with was 2 Chronicles 20:17: "Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the Lord."  On this particular occasion, a massive army, composed of three different nations, was coming to fight against God's people. God's people turned to Him in prayer, and this was His answer. And they did not need to fight in the battle because the different nations composing the enemy army ended up fighting one another and destroying each other. There's another occasion when God's people are told to stand still. Exodus 14:13, 14: "And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever. The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace." This was at the Red Sea. God's people had recently escaped slavery in Egypt. They were travelling with women, children and livestock and were in no way prepared for a battle. Suddenly, the Egyptians showed up prepared to fight to recapture their slaves and the Israelites cried out in terror. The Red Sea in front of them, the Egyptians behind them: what were they going to do? Nothing! Again, they didn't need to fight this battle. God opened the Red Sea, they went through. The Egyptians tried to follow them, and were drowned in the Red Sea. 
While God certainly expects me to do my part, - the Israelites wouldn't have been saved if they hadn't gone forward through the opening in the Red Sea - too often I take upon myself too much responsibility for the outcome. And get impatient when things don't get resolved according to my timeline. Based on these Bible stories, I need to quit trying to fix things myself, get out of the way and let God work. The solution is not dependent on my intellectual brilliance (or lack thereof). Sometimes the answer is to just stand still and watch God work.

No comments:

Post a Comment