Monday 19 August 2013

Welcome Home, Janome 6000

Hurray! The Janome Memory Craft 6000 is back home again where it belongs, and installed in it's cabinet.


I also picked up a walking foot for it. I already have one for the 8000, but that one's a high shank and the 6000 is a low shank. The quarter inch foot I can share between the sewing machines, because it's only a foot, but for the walking foot, I have to remove the "whatchamacallit" (the foot holder? - I'm sure there's a technical name for it, but I don't remember it), so each machine has a different walking foot. 
I also picked up this pattern at Quilter's Dream when I picked up my 6000 (and dropped off the 8000).

I absolutely love the realistic looking fruit and veggie fabrics, but you can't use them in just any quilt. So, when I saw this pattern, I thought it would be perfect. After all they're all "crops" and I enjoy the play on words in the name of this pattern, "Crop Circles." The squares in this quilt are 10" and the larger circles are 9", I think. So the pieces are large enough to get the benefit of the larger print of the veggie fabrics. Later, I went to Fabricland, and look what I found in the clearance section:
Makes me hungry... So, I've started collecting for my Crop Circle quilt, which might get done sometime next year, since I've already got enough on the go for this year. I need 8 different fabrics for the squares and a feature fabric for the circles, plus outline fabric for the circles, sashing, binding and backing. Now when I describe fabric as yummy or delicious, it can be taken literally... sort of.
I also like realistic looking nature prints, and I found these in the clearance section as well:
No project in mind for them yet, just stash building. I think it was in Jinny Beyer's book I read that if you see a fabric you like, you'd better buy it when you see it because chances are it won't be there when you go back. (Personally, that really doesn't work for me - my budget isn't large enough to accommodate all the fabrics I like). Here are some close-ups of the nature prints:
I really love autumn leaves. Actually, I like all leaves, and I enjoy the fall colours.
I'm really not sure what this is supposed to be, but to me, it looks sort of like rocks, and I liked it. There were a few different colours, and this one is sort of purple, which doesn't show that well in the picture. 
I really love cloud prints, so I couldn't resist this one. There was also one with a darker blue and I think a black. 
When I got home from the city, this was in my mail:
This is for my 2012 BOM project. This is my second 7-yard bolt that I've purchased because I not only intend to use it for the backing for the quilt, but also a bedskirt and probably some other trimmings as I work on this project. I intend to make pillow shams and bolster cushion covers as the bed this quilt is for is a daybed. I will probably have more than enough of this fabric, but I'd rather have too much than not enough and any leftovers can just be added to my stash. I really like this fabric - the bright colours on the black background goes well with the colour scheme of my quilt.
I also took my little antique sewing cabinet into the furniture refinisher/repairer. Yikes! He wanted $500 for the work. I think I'll just have him replace the chunk of wood where the hinge came out and re-attach the hinge. That should cost me less than $100, and I'll just add refinishing it to my " to do" list. Certainly, I won't be able to do the job that he would do, but as long as the hinge is replaced, it's still usable. I don't have that kind of money to throw around, even if he is a master craftsman. I really don't want to spend more money on repairing/refinishing than the cabinet is worth.  
When I got home, I got an email that I could buy advance passes to the Creative Stitches Show at Quilter's Dream. Why didn't I find that out before I went, or at least while I was there? It doesn't do me any good now that I'm home again. Oh well, I think I'd only save $2 by buying an advance pass, so I haven't lost much.
Back to work tomorrow, so better head to bed soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment