Sunday 18 August 2013

Pin Basting

I feel exhausted. My back aches. My shoulders ache. And the tip of the middle finger on my right hand hurts. I finally pin-basted Damian's quilt. Because I haven't had a chance to really check out the corruplast recommended by my local lumber yard, I took the quilt to work. The Health Unit is closed on weekends, but there's always a home care nurse working, and today a public health nurse as well. Besides, I work there, so I do have a key. And we have a nice big meeting room with tables. There were two tables set up, so I set up another one and spread out the quilt backing - not quite wide enough. So I set up two more end-to end. Five tables in all and this is just a 71" square quilt (give or take). It sure would take a lot of tables to do a king-sized quilt... Lots of leaning and reaching to get all the pinning done - hence the achy shoulders and back. I actually got on top of the tables to do the centre of the quilt. Made me a little nervous because I didn't know how stable the tables were and whether they were equipped to hold my weight. I think doing it on the floor would probably work better - less strain on the back and shoulders - unless I had a quilt rack that could roll up so I could pin the inner portion without having to bend and reach so much. Anyway, it's done. Took me about 2-1/2 hours. Next time I'll remember my thimbles for my third and fourth fingers. I did end up wrapping my middle finger with some masking tape and that helped a little. Sorry I didn't take my camera, so I don't have any pictures. Tomorrow, I'm off work and going to the city to pick up my Janome MC 6000. That's the one I'm going to use to do the quilting since it has a cabinet. I plan to take the 8000 in for servicing as well. And take my little antique sewing cabinet to get repaired and refinished. 
The Pets on Quits Show hosted by Lily Pad Quilting has gotten me thinking about doing a cat quilt. I have been accumulating some cat-centric fabric, but haven't decided what to do with it yet. There's a great cat quilt on this website, along with some beautiful cats http://pieceandtranquilty.blogspot.ca/2013/08/pets-on-quilts.html  I googled to see if I could find the pattern. Haven't explored all the links I found yet, but I did find this fun website: Cats (and People) Who Quilt.
Well, it's time to vote on the Pets on Quilts Show. I have no idea how I'm going to do it. There are so many awesome pets and quilts, but I think I'll go make an attempt. Then I think I'll watch an episode of The Waltons as I'm too tired to do much of anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment