Saturday 4 April 2020

Lessons from Self-Isolation

I have allergies. And while there are times when the symptoms get worse (like when pussy willows are pollinating or when the canola is in bloom), they are with me year round. The symptoms are runny nose, sinus congestion, cough (sometimes mild, sometimes bad enough to keep me awake at night), and sore throat. Do any of those sound familiar? As in symptoms of Covid-19? It's made me a little paranoid that I might have Covid-19 and be unaware of it and spread it to my clients. And I work with the very vulnerable - hospitalized seniors. And I don't want to be the death of anyone, literally. So, when my sore throat got worse, and it wasn't improved by nasal irrigation, which usually improves it, I decided to self-isolate at home. 
Now, self-isolation really wasn't a great trial for me for the following reasons: 
  1. I'm an introvert.
  2. I like being at home.
  3. I have 2 cats, who are really good company (sometimes too good).
  4. I have lots of fabric, thread and yarn to keep me occupied. 
  5. I tend to buy in bulk, so have lots of grains and legumes, and wouldn't go hungry.
  6. I have enough toilet paper. 😆
  7. I'm never alone.
Regarding point number 7, I'm not talking about the cats. And I don't mean friends, family or room-mates. I live alone. But I'm not alone, because God is with me everywhere. 
Many years ago, I learned the three "omni's" about God. God is 
  • Omniscient - all-knowing, or knows everything
  • Omnipotent - all-powerful, or has all power
  • Omnipresent - present everywhere
Psalm 139 says:
Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you. (vv.7-12; NIV)

I can not hide from God and I wouldn't want to. He is my Heavenly Father and best friend. He is with me at home, at work, when I'm shopping, when I'm driving, everywhere, all the time. He has promised, "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5. And, "Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." Matthew 28:20. And, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." John 14:18. 
And I can talk to Him any time, sometimes out loud and sometimes just in my mind, but He hears even my thoughts. 
If I'm having a challenging day at work, He's there. If I accidentally leave my purse in a shopping cart in the Walmart parking lot, He's there. And when I'm at home in self-isolation, He's there, too. 
So don't be afraid of being alone, because you never have to be really alone. Try Him, He's there. 




No comments:

Post a Comment