Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Economy Block: Drafting Quilt Blocks

Ah, finally, I have been able to make a quilt block for my 2013 BOM quilt that has the "wow" factor that the String block has. I love this block! The fabric was a fat quarter bundle, "Tulip Festival" by Benartex, which I purchased on eBay (note that I did not use any fabric from my 40 green fat quarter bundle). Was looking for a big enough block to use these tulips in. This block is 17" (17-1/2" unfinished) and I think it worked very well indeed! In the class video, the instructor used background fabric for those corners, but I like my tulips better. And yes, if you look back at my April 22 post, the Offset Log Cabin blocks include a strip of fabric from this collection - the smallest tulip print.
This is the block for March and is called the Economy Block, for reasons unknown. The skill I was supposed to have learned in creating this block is drafting my own quilt block. However, the instructions also gave the measurements for cutting without having to draft it myself. I figured why bother drafting then, if I didn't have to. I am glad for the info, however, and do intend to use it in the future. One of my posts from a couple of days ago shows the book I ordered that was mentioned by the instructor in this class, "The Quilter's Album of Blocks and Borders." Lots of ideas in there that I can use the drafting skills for.