Saturday 29 December 2018

Baby Alter Ego

I was searching for a pattern for a baby quilt that worked up fairly quickly and easily. I had a layer cake, but most layer cake patterns make bigger quilts and are more complex than what I wanted. Then I found Jenny Doan's Alter Ego tutorial. 
This quilt is much bigger than what I wanted. But I figured by using half of the layer cake for one quilt, I could still have a decent sized quilt. I should tell you right here that when I make a "baby quilt," I generally choose not to use baby/children's fabrics and make it bigger than the average baby quilt. That way the child can use it throughout childhood, and even when he/she gets a little older and not be embarrassed by the childish fabric. I added 2" and 3" borders and it worked out to be about 46" by 54".
Initially, I didn't actually like this quilt much. This layer cake was not your typical layer cake in that all of the fabric was not from the same fabric line. I think it was called Textures and Brights and I really didn't like the scrappy look of it. Once I started quilting it, however, it sort of pulled it all together and I decided I do like it after all. I used the Sweetness pantograph from Willow Leaf Studios.

Isn't it adorable? Here's a close up of the quilting: 
I quilted it with a multi coloured Signature thread. 
This quilt is going to the baby of a Health Care Aide that worked for me when I worked as a Director of Care. 
Stay tuned, I have another Baby Alter Ego quilt partially finished and I suspect at least one more to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment