Sunday 21 July 2024

A Couple of Quilted Gifts

 Almost any occasion is a good excuse to make a quilted gift. 

The daugher of one of my former colleagues from my working life gifted her with her first grandchild. And I decided to mark the occasion with the gift of a quilt. Using my Quick and Easy Baby Quilt method using layer cake squares, I created this quilt. 
Initially, I wasn't sure if I really liked it. The print fabric is so pale that it nearly fades into the background. But once I started putting it together, I felt that it was very delicate and feminine - perfect for a little princess. Crowns are featured in the fabric, and since Grandma is of French descent, I named the quilt "La Petite Princesse" and quilted it with crowns, 
the Crowns-n-Diamonds pantograph. It was a rather challenging design because of all the points and angles, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. 
Next, I had a wedding reception to attend. The wedding itself was a destination wedding in the mountains, with just immediate family. Unfortunately, my anxiety and my GI system got the better of me and I was unable to attend. But I did send a gift. I had recently picked up the Triangle Frenzy Runner pattern and some fabric that would work well with it, so I decided that would make a great wedding gift. 
In addition to regular batting, I added a layer of metallic insulating batting (like Insul-Bright, but the brand my LQS sells), so that the couple can safely put hot dishes on it. The colours are neutral enough that I'm hoping will suit their decor. I don't generally like large quilting designs on smaller projects, so I used Christy's Whisper, a 6.5" design. I think maybe I should get a few more small designs for projects like this.
Wrapped with a dishtowel and a crocheted dishcloth for a bow, I'm having fun with more environmentally-friendly giftwrap options. 

No comments:

Post a Comment