Tuesday 17 January 2023

The Great Bread Making Adventure: Double Corn Bread

 

I've been thinking it's about time I got back to The World Encyclopedia of Bread and Bread Making. I was planning on making bagels, especially since I have a recipe for vegan cream cheese I want to try. But today, I was making chili for dinner and corn bread always goes with chili. And sure enough, in the "Americas" section of the book was a recipe for cornbread. Double corn bread, because not only is it made with cornmeal, but it also has sweet corn in it. 
Of course, I replaced the white flour with whole wheat and also happened to have whole grain cornmeal in my freezer. I used Earth Balance Buttery Sticks for the butter, and the verdict is still out on whether or not I actually like that stuff. The last time I used it and had to melt it, it spat all over in the microwave and made a mess. This time, when it continued to make those explosive sounds, I decided to melt it on the stovetop. It still pops, but not quite as badly. And I'm not entirely convinced that it works that well in place of butter. For the eggs, I didn't quite have enough ground flax seed, so used some ground chia seed as well. The recipe called for a can of corn, but I didn't have any, so used frozen. From the looks of the picture in the book, compared to mine, the one in the book appears to have a lot less corn than mine. You really can't even tell that they added any. And I did follow the recipe regarding quantity. Nevertheless, mine still turned out tasty. 
I also finished off one of those bagged kale salads with my lunch. 
I honestly have no idea why my cat thinks he needs to help me eat my salad. Maybe he's craving greens. Or salad dressing. But he thought he should taste my Italian pasta salad a few days ago - also store bought - and I couldn't convince him not to taste it, because I'm quite sure it had cayenne in it. Definitely too hot for my taste - and Mystery's - and I won't be buying that one again. 
Eventually, I will likely get back to Italian breads, but I think I'll still make the bagels first. 
Meanwhile, on the quilting front, I have designed a Valentine's themed table quilt. I might not post it right away as I may try submitting the design to a quilting magazine for publishing. I have submitted a couple already, but the first one was turned down. I'm still waiting to hear about the second one. And that may determine whether or not I submit a third. Or I might try a different publisher. I'm still plugging away on the ruler quilting on Chelsea Rose Pop.
I'm finding it quite boring and will be very happy when I've finished it. And I already have another quilt top finished and ready for quilting when this one is done. But more about that in another post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment